Dear Colleagues,
We (Chelsey Armstrong and Cynthia Fowler) seek proposals to participate in the
"Looking Backward and Moving Forward: Applying Traditional Ecological Knowledge
and Traditional Resource and Environmental Management" session at the SfAA 2016
meeting<http://www.sfaa.net/annual-meeting/>.  The abstract for our session
appears below.  If you are interested in participating, please submit an
abstract of 100 words or less to Cissy
Fowler<mailto:fowle...@wofford.edu?subject=TREM%20Session%20at%20SfAA%202016>
by September 7, 2015.

SESSION ABSTRACT
In "Looking Backward and Moving Forward" participants will consider the roles
of traditional ecological knowledge (TEK) and traditional resource management
(TREM) as practical frameworks for contemporary sustainable resource use and
Indigenous wellbeing. Participants will recommend ways that resource managers
can optimize community wellbeing based on the results of research about
contemporary and ancient TREM.  Participants will integrate ethnographic and
ethnobiological information with archaeological and paleoecological signatures,
and construct valuable data sets that facilitate applied research in the face
of accelerated environmental change.  Participants in this session aim for
better understanding of the processes and pathways through which management
systems endure or desist.  Living communities provide direct and empirical
evidence of TREM while the archaeological record provides information about the
evolution and adaptation of TREM.  When participants look to the past and at
the present, what can we suggest about how to manage our resources as we move
forward into the un/predictable future?   We will discuss cases where TEK and
TREM are celebrated as well as where they are appropriated, and comment on the
pros and cons, successes and failures of TEK and TREM.  Where TREM is
localized, ethical and sustainable, and also where it is not, the results from
integrated ethnographic and ethnobiological, and archaeological and
paleoecological research provide valuable lessons for today's resource
managers.  Deep time profiles of resource management coupled with contemporary
ethnobiological portraits provide a framework for producing rich understandings
of TEK and TREM systems and processes.

Cynthia Fowler
Associate Professor, Wofford College
President Elect, Society of Ethnobiology<http://ethnobiology.org/>
Environmental Social Scientist, Filling a Critical
Gap<Filling%20a%20Critical%20Gap%20in%20Indonesia's%20National%20Carbon%20Monitoring,%20Reporting,%20and%20Verification%20Capabilities%20for%20Supporting%20REDD+%20Activities:%20Incorporating,%20Quantifying%20and%20Locating%20Fire%20Emissions%20from%20Within%20Tropical%20Peat-swamp%20ForestsC:/ArcGIS%2010.2>
429 North Church Street
Spartanburg, SC 29303
fowle...@wofford.edu<mailto:fowle...@wofford.edu>
864-597-4698