You might also consider cases where individuals hold territories and
territories are necessary for breeding success.  In some cases territories
simply shrink in size with higher pop. numbers, but in many there is a
minimum territory size and thus a limit to the # of potential territories.
Overpopulation can result in territories too small for breeding success
(due to female mate selection for example) or result in some individuals
not being able to maintain a territory and thus not being able to breed.
As other people have mentioned, I wouldn't argue that it is conscious, but
it can lead to a reduction/limit in birth rate.

Jessa

Jessa Madosky, PhD
Assistant Professor
Biology Department
University of Tampa

Vice President for Membership - Society for Conservation Biology
Chapters Committee Chair - Society for Conservation Biology
President Elect - NA Section of SCB
Education Committee Chair - NA Section of SCB