Hi, Warren, et al.,

The idea you mention, that homosexuality or asexuality evolved as a means
of regulating population seems flawed to me.

For one thing, in human populations, many if not most homosexuals become
parents. In the past, in places where homosexuality was forced underground,
many of them conducted outwardly heterosexual lives as cover, and this
included parenting. Add to that the fact that in many societies women
have/had little to say as to whether or how they got pregnant.  If a
village was raided an a girl was carried off as a captive of war to be a
bride, would explaining that she didn't feel that way about men do her much
good?  Or in a bride-price scenario, would her family turn down an
attractive offer, say rights to a flint quarry, or two year's supply of
mammoth meat, or whatever their currency was?

Nowadays, in places where homosexuality is accepted, many of them adopt
children (which doesn't increase population size) or have babies using
surrogate mothers or sperm donors, which does.

But the biggest problem, as I see it, is how genes for anti-reproductive
behaviors would enter a population:  If a male baby were born with a
mutation that made him homosexual, and if that gene exerted itself such
that he fathered no children, his would be the only copy of the gene in the
population, and it would exit when he did.  I don't see how kin-selection
of group-selection mechanisms would get around this problem.

Any suggestions out there?

Martin M. Meiss