I always thought that middle school science classes should be ecologically
based - have kids learn the names of their neighborhood trees, then discuss
gravity in regards to transpirational pull. At least that way a generation
of students have the opportunity to see the world not as undifferentiated
green, but as distinct living things.

Similarly, I have noticed that many ecology classes, particularly at my
current institution, deemphasize the hands-on field component to emphasize
quantitative methods and topical lectures. Touching, seeing, and learning
the names of living things in organismal-based field classes can be such a
powerful wondrous experience (beyond the imagination of many!), which
surely recruits students who would have no interest otherwise. Furthermore,
I think replacing these classes with population modeling, R and GIS classes
leaves ecology undergraduates ill-prepared to be field technicians and
woefully ignorant of actual biodiversity.

Best,
Erick