I know there have been a few previous messages about using Tablets in
the field but I was hoping to ask a few specifics.  We are planning to
use these tablets primarily for collecting vegetation data (and maybe
adding more uses further down the line as we work out the kinks).  This
summer we would like to enter all our daubemire percent cover data into
the tablets while we are in the field to minimize the amount of data
entry we need to do when we return every evening.  Our sites contain
quite a few plants so we need a pull down tab or some other option to
identify up to 100 plant species.  My questions are:

1) Is there an app that you would recommend we use to design a data
sheet on the tablet that would be easy to use for vegetation percent
cover data collections?  One that will allow us to enter percent cover
estimates for many different plant species at multiple locations (we
have 30, 1 meter squared quadrats per site or 16 per plot within each
site).  We would prefer an open access (free) app but we are willing to
pay if it means a better format for our data collection.  We would love
to be able to export the data to a computer each day and save or convert
it to an excel format.

2) Any particular tablets that you recommend we use (or avoid)?  We are
budget limited so we are looking for tablets that are certainly under
$400 each and preferably less than that.

3) Any particular covers/cases that you would recommend for the tablets.
We don't expect the tablets to get super wet or dirty but we work
outside so they are not completely safe from the elements.

Any comments or suggestions on these 3 questions would be greatly
appreciated.  Feel free to email be directly at:
gold1...@vandals.uidaho.edu

Thank you,
Amanda