Amanda,

This summer I did stream side vegetation surveys with CEMML near Anchorage
using percent cover estimations at multiple sites, multiple plots per site,
with up to 100 species. We used tablets to collect data, and it saved us much
time and worked very well.  It sounds like a similar study to the one you hope
to do.

We used iPad Air 2's, with lifeproof brand cases, and they were very effective,
relatively light, and completely waterproof (even silt proof!).

We used the free google sheets app, and set up the data before going in the
field and then made the files available offline to head out to the field.

I don't know about cheaper options that would be as effective, but all together
I think the case/iPad combo was $600-700 per.

Hope this helps!

Joel Betts