Hi,

I'm interested in collecting pollen count data on a monoecious, wind pollinated
species
(common ragweed, Ambrosia artemisiifolia), at the level of individual plants in
a large field
experiment I am conducting this summer.

Ideally, I would like to be able to collect the inflorescences in the field
prior to the male
flowers opening, store them, and then count the pollen at a later date.
However, I am
unsure of how to store the inflorescences or whether I will be open to open the
flowers
(they are very small and numerous), afterwards to count the pollen.

Does anyone have experience with pollen counts of this nature? If you have
suggestions on
appropriate storage materials (water, ethanol, none), or a method to open the
flowers and
count pollen afterwards, please contact me at gorto...@umn.edu.

Thank you!

Amanda

Amanda J. Gorton
amandagorton.wordpress.com
PhD Candidate
Dept. of Ecology, Evolution and Behavior
University of Minnesota
St. Paul, MN, 55108