Field Projects International has limited space for those wishing to join one
of our primate research teams focused on disease ecology and sensory
perception this July.

All positions are competitive, filled on a rolling basis, and include site
fees that cover room and board, meals and snacks, transfers between Puerto
Maldonado and the field site, and supplies/equipment.

Deadline for all Research Assistantship Positions: May 16th

Learn more: https://fieldprojects.org/research

**ABOUT THE PRIMATE DISEASE ECOLOGY PROGRAM**

This program involves 11 primate species found at our field site. Our task
is to locate and follow groups each primate species while tracking their
movements with a handheld GPS, recording behavioral data, and collecting
fecal samples. We preserve all acquired samples in a variety of ways that
enable us to access DNA, hormone, parasite, and dietary data.

We are looking for enthusiastic, reasonably fit, and self-motivated field
assistants. Previous experience is not required; we provide all training on
site. This is a great opportunity for students interested in graduate
programs or careers in biology, conservation, ecology, or anthropology. This
kind of fieldwork is physically demanding and requires long days of hiking
and data collection, but it is also incredibly rewarding.

Read more about this program here:
https://fieldprojects.org/research/community-disease-ecology/

At the end of the program, research assistants will be able to:

• Track primates by movement and vocalizations, as well as radio telemetry
• Work off trail systems, and conduct full-day follows
• Conduct behavioral observations on known-individuals (scan and focal
animal sampling)
• Record data on feeding ecology
• Correctly sex individual primates
• Collect GPS data on species movements to create a large, overarching
primate movement database.
• Become proficient in collecting and storing primate fecal samples in
field conditions, including participating in downstream applications like
endocrinology and parasite analyses.
• Input sample and movement information into databases for further analyses.

START DATE: July 10th, 2016

MINIMUM STAY: 4 weeks

APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 16, 2016

PROGRAM FEE: $450/week (includes room & board, all meals, and travel from
Puerto Maldonado to the field site)

WHERE: The Los Amigos Biological Field Station in Southeastern Peru

**ABOUT OUR PRIMATE SENSORY PERCEPTION PROGRAM**

Field Projects International is examining sensory perception in neotropical
primates, partly because they have an interesting sex-linked color vision
phenomenon. Excluding howler monkeys, male platyrrhines are dichromatic,
meaning they can discern only two wavelengths. On the other hand, about half
of all the females have trichromatic vision. This phenomenon allows us to
design experiments in the field that test what senses primates use to select
ripe fruit. We would expect the dichromatic females to adopt similar
foraging strategies as the males, but the trichromatic females should behave
differently if variation in vision does in fact influence foraging
efficiency. Confirming that these relationships do or do not exist in wild
populations is just the tip of the iceberg for topics in sensory perception.

Research assistants will acquire much more knowledge on this interesting
topic while learning how to carry out experiments on individually
identifiable primate groups.

Read more about this program here:
https://fieldprojects.org/research/sensory-experiments

At the end of this program, participants will be able to:

• Record focal behavioral data
• Work with video recording equipment
• Complete basic video edits
• Understand relational databases
• Perform basic behavioral data analyses
• Recognize all 11 species of primate at our field site
• Distinguish species-specific vocalizations
• Gain a general knowledge about rainforest ecology

START DATES: July 5th or 12th, 2016

MINIMUM STAY REQUIRED: 4 weeks

APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 16th, 2016

PROGRAM FEE: $450/week

PROGRAM LOCATION: The Los Amigos Biological Field Station in Southeastern Peru