I'm having a bit of difficulty getting a clear understanding of what should
be considered a fixed vs. a random effect in a linear mixed model analysis
of field data. Even the statisticians seem to say "it depends on who's
defining it" or "sometimes the same treatment/variable can be either". Some
examples may help, let's say I collected samples annually in three sites
and wanted to test for the effect of daily rainfall, daily temperature, and
density, on recruitment of individuals in the following year. Using the
lmer function in R which of these would be fixed effects and which would be
random? A reference or two would help. I really couldn't find much in a
google search on field studies, but I didn't go to anything like zoological
abstracts. TIA, g2

--
Gary D. Grossman, PhD
Fellow, American Fisheries Soc.

Professor of Animal Ecology
Warnell School of Forestry & Natural Resources
University of Georgia
Athens, GA, USA 30602

Website - Science, Art (G. Grossman Fine Art) and Music www.garygrossman.net

Board of Editors - Animal Biodiversity and Conservation
Editorial Board - Freshwater Biology
Editorial Board - Ecology Freshwater Fish

Hutson Gallery Provincetown, MA - www.hutsongallery.net/artists.html