Hi Dr. Grossman,

The definition of fixed and random independent variables is really an
eternal struggle.
I believe the book of Tony Underwood might help you someway.

Underwood, A.J. Experiments in ecology: their logical design and
interpretation using analysis of variance, xviii, 504p. Cambridge
University Press, 1996.

Best regards,

Gabriel

*Gabriel Barros Gonçalves de Souza*
Biologist - M.Sc. in Ecology and Biomonitoring
PhD Candidate in Ecology at Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ)
Laboratory of Fishery Biology and Technology
CRBio: 59.707/05-D
Cel: +55 (71) 99187-9065
CV Lattes: http://lattes.cnpq.br/4012374701934609