Folks,

I am teaching an introductory ecology (General Ecology) course to
sophomores majoring in biology. These students have a
very foundation-level background on genetics, evolution, and organismal
biology. But, are relatively new to fundamental concepts of ecology and
environmental sciences. I am highly interested in having in-class
discussions based on a few popular science articles or book chapters from
non-fiction books written for environmental/nature enthusiasts. I am very
familiar with work of EO Wilson and David Quamann- however, I feel that
most of their work are more in alignment with a conservation biology
or environmental management. Do you have any recommendations on popular
science-type readings that are more pertinent to ecology theory, biological
communities, ecosystems and biomes, etc?

The class period is 1 hr and 15 mins. Reading component is going to be
"homework" (shorter articles are preferred) but the discussions take place
in-class. So, any reading material that can drive a conservation/debate
would be ideal. I would love to heard those ideas too.

Thanks...

Thilina Dilan Surasinghe (Ph.D. in Wildlife and Fisheries Biology)
Assistant Professor in Ecology and Conservation Biology
Department of Biological Science
Bridgewater State University

Conant Science Building

24 Park Avenue