A graduate research opportunity is available to study how a legacy
industrial urbanization has influenced soil capacity to provide ecosystem
services, with a focus on those needed to sustain urban agriculture. The
selected PhD student will conduct field and laboratory research to measure
biological, chemical, and physical facets of soil quality. The project will
compare soils from urban vacant lots, urban farms, parks, and rural organic
farms. The student could select to evaluate soils from these habitats for
microbial community structure, invertebrates, metabolites, mineral and
heavy metal levels, as well as predation activity and promotion of plant
health and resistance. Interested applicants should contact project PI's
for more information about the project and The Ohio State University
graduate student application process.

Project PI’s: P. Larry Phelan (phela...@osu.edu) and Mary M. Gardiner
(gardiner...@osu.edu).

Department of Entomology, The Ohio State University
(http://entomology.osu.edu/)

The Ohio State University is committed to establishing a culturally and
intellectually diverse environment, encouraging all members of our learning
community to reach their full potential. We are responsive to dual-career
families and strongly promote work-life balance to support our community
members through a suite of institutionalized policies. We are an NSF
Advance Institution and a member of the Ohio/Western Pennsylvania/West
Virginia Higher Education Recruitment Consortium. The Ohio State University
is an equal opportunity employer.