Jane, if you consider ecological agriculture (which may or may not include
organic, depending on how it’s done, but typically organic would be considered
part of eco-ag practices), a great review and reference is De Schutter, O.
(2010). Agroecology and the right to food. Interim report of the UN Special
Rapporteur on the right to food submitted to the 65th session of the United
Nations General Assembly, 11.

I can’t remember if ECOLOG-L allows hyperlinks. I think it strips them, but if
you do a Google Scholar search on what I pasted above you can get to a freely
available copy on foodsecure canada’s website as well as other locations.  And
I will email Jane the link directly.

Carola A. Haas
Professor, Wildlife Ecology
Dept. of Fish & Wildlife Conservation