The Department of Biology at Radford University invites applications for a
tenure-track
teaching and research faculty position at the Assistant Professor rank
beginning Fall 2018.

Required qualifications include a Ph.D. in biology or a related field,
completed before the
August 10, 2018 start date. Previous teaching experience of some kind is also
required.
Preference given to those that:

•have the ability teach one or more of the following courses: microbiology,
genetics,
and/or human anatomy & physiology.
•can bring complementary disciplinary training and interests to the department.
Examples
include but are not limited to: evolution, modeling/ simulation/ computation/
big data,
ecosystem/landscape ecology or biogeography, expertise with plant/ protist/
fungal/ non-
insect invertebrate taxa.
•have experience in the scholarship of teaching and learning, including for
example
engagement with the national biology teaching and learning community (e.g.,
National
Association of Biology Teachers, Association of Biological Laboratory
Education, education
arms of disciplinary professional societies), or professional development in
education via
graduate certificates of college teaching or education-focused postdoctoral
experiences,
or education-focused presentations or publications.

Candidates are expected to establish and maintain an active research program
involving
undergraduate students and contribute to university service. Teaching
responsibilities may
include introductory biology for majors or non-majors, upper-level service
courses for
other majors, and elective courses in the candidate’s area of disciplinary
expertise.

This is an exciting time in Radford University’s Department of Biology. We
recently
committed ourselves formally to the ideals of the Vision & Change report, and
will work
over the coming years to better align our curriculum and instruction with those
ideals. In
2017 we were awarded a five-year Howard Hughes Medical Institute Inclusive
Excellence
grant to use project-based learning to improve student retention and inclusion
in STEM at
Radford, and we have been chosen to participate in the Council on Undergraduate
Research Transformations project to revise our curriculum to enhance
course-based
research opportunities for all students. A new faculty member with interests in
the
scholarship of teaching and learning will find many opportunities for exciting
collaborations. For more information, please visit the Radford University
website at
http://www.radford.edu and the department page at
http://www.radford.edu/content/csat/home/biology.html.

Apply online at http://jobs.radford.edu/postings/5479. Only online applications
will be
accepted.  Review of applications will begin on November 13, 2017.

All new hires to Radford University will be subject to E-Verify. E-Verify is
administered by
the U. S. Department of Homeland Security, USCIS - Verification Division and
the Social
Security Administration and allows participating employers to electronically
verify
employment eligibility. Radford University does not discriminate with regard to
race, color,
sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, national origin,
religion, or political
affiliation in the administration of its educational programs, activities,
admission or
employment practices. Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodations in
the
application process should  call (540) 831-5008 (voice) or (540) 831-5128
(TTY). If you
need access to a computer,  you may visit our office at 600 Tyler Avenue,
Radford,
Virginia, or the local Virginia  Employment Commission. This contractor and
subcontractor
shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-300.5(a).  This regulation
prohibits
discrimination against qualified protected veterans, and requires  affirmative
action by
covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in
employment
qualified protected veterans.