We are organizing a session and two linked workshops on participatory modelling
(PM) at the International Environmental Modeling and Software Society
conference
(iEMSs 2018) to be held in Fort Collins, CO, USA in June 25-28 Mon-Thu. Please
see:
http://iemss2018.engr.colostate.edu/sessions/#stream3
<http://iemss2018.engr.colostate.edu/sessions/#stream3> (Session C5)
http://iemss2018.engr.colostate.edu/workshops/#stream3
<http://iemss2018.engr.colostate.edu/workshops/#stream3> (Workshops C104
and C105)

Broad goal is to bring together concerned researchers and practitioners to
exchange ideas on how to make participatory approaches more effective. We will
focus on interfaces, tools, methods and approaches that can be used in
participatory modelling and stakeholder interaction, and effectively lead to
action-
oriented outcomes. We invite papers on such efforts and on visualization,
analytics, interaction, documentation, recording, and conceptualizing
technologies
that can help in these efforts. We invite abstracts that represent a wide range
of
perspectives, including those from computer scientists, social and natural
scientists, and cognitive scientists as well as those of decision-makers,
managers
or stakeholder experts. By bringing together diverse perspectives we hope to
assess current trends in the field and define new questions that characterize
future
directions in PM.

We would like to invite you as a speaker at the above session and also to
participate in the linked workshops. If it will be possible for you to present
your
work at the session, can you please submit your abstract at the earliest using
the
following link. Deadline is Feb 15th.
http://iemss2018.engr.colostate.edu/call-for-abstracts/
<http://iemss2018.engr.colostate.edu/call-for-abstracts/>

Please contact us if you need any further information.

Sincerely
Nagesh Kolagani (IIIT Sri City, India)
Alexey Voinov (University of Technology Sydney, Australia)
Steven Gray, Miles McNall, Laura Schmitt-Olabisi (Michigan State University,
USA)

9th International Congress on Environmental Modelling and Software (iEMSs 2018)
June 25-28, 2018, Fort Collins, CO, USA
(http://iemss2018.engr.colostate.edu/call-for-abstracts/
<http://iemss2018.engr.colostate.edu/call-for-abstracts/>)

Stream C: Integrated Social, Economic, Ecological, and Infrastructural Modeling
Session C5: Participatory Modelling 2.0: Interfaces, Tools, Methods and
Approaches for Linking Stakeholders Decisions, and Environmental Modelling
Organizers: Nagesh Kolagani, Alexey Voinov, Steven Gray, Miles McNall, Laura
Schmitt-Olabisi

The popularity of participatory modelling (PM) has grown considerably in recent
years with the acknowledgement that the inclusion of stakeholders and a variety
of
perspectives are required to improve our understanding of social-ecological
systems and current environmental problems. Yet a vast gap exists between what
scientists know and what managers, policy-makers and other decision-makers do.
The proposed session (and two linked workshops) will focus on interfaces,
tools,
methods and approaches that can be used in participatory modelling and
stakeholder interaction, and effectively lead to action-oriented outcomes. The
session and workshops will also consider ways of engaging decision-makers and
stakeholders in a modelling process and methods for embedding modelling into
decision making. We seek to attract action researchers and practitioners to
explore
recent developments in modelling with stakeholders, and invite papers on such
efforts and on visualization, analytics, interaction, documentation, recording,
and
conceptualizing technologies that can help in these efforts. By bringing
together
diverse perspectives, we hope to assess current trends in the field and define
new
questions that characterize future directions in PM. We invite abstracts and
proposals that represent a wide range of perspectives, including those from
computer scientists, social and natural scientists, and cognitive scientists as
well
as those of decision-makers, managers or stakeholder experts. Some potential
questions appropriate for this session include:

- How can computer models and mental models be better integrated to support
decision-making?
- How computer interfaces can assist in linking mental models with systems
models?
- How can they be improved for that purpose?
- What role can cyber-platforms play in harnessing collective intelligence for
‘wicked problems’?
- How can model output be translated into terms meaningful for decision-makers?