In science writing you will naturally get replication of words because of literature cited and sometimes the methods section - for standard procedures there are a limited number of ways to say it. Taking this into account, I would be suspect of student reports that rise above 20% similarity to other works, and certainly those that are over 30% are likely to have plagiarized. As you mention, phrases or sentences of more than 8-10 words that are not part of the methods or literature cited sections were most likely copied from other sources.

Mitch Cruzan