Hello ECOLOG-ers!

Struggling to make your lectures more active? We are pleased to announce our
5th annual Conservation Teaching and Learning Studio for post-secondary
educators. This year’s Studio will be an opportunity to learn with and from a
diverse group of educators about scientific and active teaching techniques, and
integrate them into your teaching practice. Finding the time to make your
lectures more active is a challenge, but through this Studio we’ll provide the
resources, feedback, and time to work on these teaching skills. Bring a lecture
or lesson of your choice (or we will provide sample resources) and after a
peer-collaboration process, you’ll leave with a ready to implement active
teaching lesson.

Please share this email with any and all colleagues you think may be interested
in attending this year’s event.

- The Network of Conservation Educators and Practitioners

Studio theme: Walking the Walk: Implementing Active Teaching and Learning in
the Classroom

Studio dates: June 13-15, 2018

Studio location: American Museum of Natural History, New York, NY

Application deadline: Friday April 20, 2018 at 12pm EDT

The Network of Conservation Educators and Practitioners (NCEP)  convenes small
groups of post-secondary or adult educators in intensive workshops—Conservation
Teaching and Learning Studios—to exchange teaching strategies, train in
evidence-based pedagogical approaches, and develop teaching resources. Our next
Studio will take place on June 13-15  at the American Museum of Natural History
in New York, and will focus on strategies for implementing active teaching
techniques in the classroom.

The evidence is clear. For over three decades, research has shown that active
teaching enhances students’ development of the knowledge, skills, and attitudes
they need to be effective scientists and professionals. In this Studio,
training and knowledge sharing will be focused on integrating scientific and
evidence-based active teaching practices into your own classroom. Over two and
a half days, you will have a chance to learn about effective tools and
approaches from peers and investigators leading NSF-funded research on
education, discuss challenges to teaching actively, and practice applying these
techniques in your own lessons or curricula.

To Apply:

Educators of undergraduate or adult students are encouraged to apply online:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfkfDaSwGjuOlOpQAJh2342VYOsLy3KBwqjZxwFQyYpwk7HmA/viewform?usp=sf_link

The application is a brief form including questions about your teaching
experience, interest in our Studio, and a resume or CV.

The deadline for applications is April 20, 2018, at 12pm EDT. Applicants will
be notified in early May.

Participants will be selected based on their interest in the event, their
teaching or research focus, and possibly their career stage to ensure a
balanced Studio event.

Additional Considerations:

Registration fee is set at $125, and includes breakfast, lunch, and access to
all Museum exhibits.

A limited number of registration fee waivers and/or small travel grants will be
available and will be awarded on a competitive basis.

Participants are expected to arrange their own travel and accommodation, and
attend for the entire duration of the Studio.

Questions?

Please contact NCEP at n...@amnh.org