Hello.  If you are planning to attend ASLO in San Juan, Puerto Rico, this
February 23-March 2 and engage undergraduate researchers, please consider
joining our session. We are especially interested in hearing from current or
past undergraduate researchers and mentors about strategies to enhance
undergraduate research experiences. Session participants will be allowed to
present another paper in another session if interested.  Note that the abstract
deadline is 15 October 2018. If you have questions about our session, please
let us know. Thanks for spreading the word about our session. We hope to see
you in beautiful Puerto Rico. David, Gretchen, Patrick, Sarah, Shane, and Alan

Session title: SS10 - Exploring what makes undergraduate research experiences
work: evidence from students and mentors

Link to session descriptions: https://aslo.org/sanjuan2019/sessions

Session description: Undergraduate research experience is often highlighted as
one of the most important factors associated with participants' interest and
success in STEM careers. Despite this relationship, questions surrounding what
specific features of these experiences lead to positive outcomes remain
relatively unanswered in part because there is considerable variability in the
structure of undergraduate research experiences. This session will bring
together mentors and current & past undergraduate researchers to explore best
practices in undergraduate research mentoring and identify elements of past
experiences that had positive impacts on the careers of undergraduate
researchers. The discussion will also cover aspects of how undergraduate
research experience broaden participation in research, and further what
practices are most effective for a diversity of participants. Participants will
discuss undergraduate research experiences occurring at a mentees' home
institution as well as those occurring through competitive undergraduate
research programs, such as the National Science Foundation Research Experiences
for Undergraduates. The nuances and challenges of mentoring (including
effective communication skills as well as ethnic and cultural sensitivity) will
be uniquely addressed in case studies that are intended to provide guidance and
pathways to solutions. This session is targeted for current or prospective
practitioners associated with undergraduate research.

Session chairs:

David Fields, Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences
(dfie...@bigelow.org<https://aslo.org/%E2%80%9Dmailto:%e2%80%9ddfie...@bigelow.org%E2%80%9C>)
Gretchen Hofmann, University of California Santa Barbara
(hofm...@ucsb.edu<https://aslo.org/%E2%80%9Dmailto:hofm...@ucsb.edu%E2%80%9D>)
Patrick Crumrine, Rowan University
(crumr...@rowan.edu<https://aslo.org/%E2%80%9Dmailto:crumr...@rowan.edu%E2%80%9D>)
Sarah Cohen, San Francisco State University
(sarah...@sfsu.edu<https://aslo.org/%E2%80%9Dmailto:%e2%80%9dsarah...@sfsu.edu%E2%80%9C>)

Shane Rogers, Clarkson University
(srog...@clarkson.edu<https://aslo.org/%E2%80%9Dmailto:%e2%80%9dsrog...@clarkson.edu%E2%80%9C>)
Alan Wilson, Auburn University
(wil...@auburn.edu<https://aslo.org/%E2%80%9Dmailto:wil...@auburn.edu%E2%80%9D>)

Abstract submission deadline: 15 October 2018

---
Alan Wilson
Associate Professor - Auburn University
School of Fisheries, Aquaculture, and Aquatic Sciences
www.wilsonlab.com<http://www.wilsonlab.com/> - 334.246.1120