Graduate opportunities in disturbance ecology and plant-soil interactions:

The Fraterrigo Landscape and Ecosystem Ecology Lab in the Department of
Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences at the University of Illinois,
Urbana-Champaign, is accepting applications for Ph.D. student positions that
start in Fall 2019. Our lab seeks to understand vegetation response to
environmental change and disturbance, and its consequences for
biogeochemical cycling. Our research lies at the intersection of ecosystem
and landscape ecology and addresses both basic and applied questions, using
experimental and observational approaches, as well as a variety of tools to
integrate fine- and coarse-grained perspectives of ecosystems and how they
function. More information about our research group can be found here:
http://landscape.nres.illinois.edu/

Outstanding Ph.D. student applicants with research interests that align with
the overarching themes of our lab are encouraged to apply. However, we would
like to accept one student to work on vegetation response to fire in
fire-maintained temperate forests. This position would require experience
with remote sensing and GIS. A second position could focus on plant-soil
interactions in either temperate forests or the Alaskan tundra.

Qualified applicants should have a strong background in ecology and
experience conducting field work, particularly sampling plant communities.
Students who have a background in statistics, are willing to develop their
quantitative skills, and have programming experience using R are preferred.
Strong writing, communication, collaboration, and mentoring skills are also
required. The position will be funded by research and/or teaching
assistantships.

To apply, contact Dr. Jennifer Fraterrigo before the application deadline at
jmf _at_ Illinois.edu with a CV or resume, undergraduate GPA, GRE scores and
percentiles, and a brief description of research background, interests, and
how they may fit within the broader research themes in the lab. This will
allow time to assess whether your research interests fit with our research
group before submitting an official application. We value diversity and
encourage students from underrepresented groups to apply.  Students may
choose a degree program either through the Department of Natural Resources
and Environmental Sciences (https://nres.illinois.edu/) or the
interdepartmental Program in Ecology, Evolution, and Conservation Biology
(http://peec.illinois.edu/). Official applications to these graduate
programs are due December 1, 2018.