The International Max Planck Research School for Organismal Biology, a joint
cooperation between the Max Planck Institute for Ornithology with its two
research sites in Seewiesen and Radolfzell and the Department of Biology at
the University of Konstanz, is seeking for PhD Candidates (f/m). For 2019,
the IMPRS offers various fully-funded PhD projects focusing on olfactory
coding, sexual development, glucocorticoid-metabolism interaction, species
delimitation, social behaviour, and other exciting research questions in the
field of Organismal Biology (see http://www.orn.mpg.de/projects)!

Field of work:

The aim of the IMPRS is to provide first-class training and education for
outstanding doctoral students from all over the world in a stimulating
research environment. More than 30 scientists work on a variety of topics
from animal migration, collective behaviour, computational ecology,
evolutionary genetics, neurobiology, sensory systems, social interactions
and other related fields. Research includes lab and field work using
different model organisms from plants, insects, fish, birds and mammals, as
well as diverse techniques from animal tracking, large scale data analysis,
molecular genetic analyses, optical imaging or social network analysis.

Requirements:

We invite applications from all countries and from a wide range of
backgrounds (biology, engineering science, physics, computer science).
Applicants must have graduated from a minimum 4-year study program with a
comprehensive scientific thesis work (this might be a Master's degree or an
equivalent degree). It is not necessary to hold the degree at the time of
application. However, you must have been awarded your degree prior to the
start of the program. The quality of the degrees (i.e. eligibility) will be
checked by University of Konstanz on a case-by-case basis. Candidates need
to be fluent in written and spoken English and - unless native speakers -
have to document their proficiency in English (e.g. TOEFL).

Our offer:

All PhD projects are fully funded for at least 3 years. Besides their own
research, the IMPRS fellows attend laboratory courses and workshops in
relevant transferable skills like scientific writing and project management.
Talks by invited speakers during our annual IMPRS symposium, student
retreats, and conference participation complete the individually tailored
curriculum.

Your application:

You can only apply via the three-tier electronical application process on
the Institutes webpage. Please do not send any other type of application by
regular mail or email as they will be rejected. The application must be
completed in English only. Besides the online application form, we need
several documents from you. Documents that are not in English or German need
to be translated. You need to upload all the required documents as one
single pdf-file.

The Max Planck Society and the University of Konstanz are equal opportunity
employers and are committed to increasing the number of individuals with
disabilities in their workforce and therefore we encourage applications from
such qualified individuals. Furthermore, we seek to increase the number of
women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore
explicitly encourages women to apply.

Application deadline is January 15, 2019. Please only apply via
http://www.orn.mpg.de/2383/Application.

More information see http://www.orn.mpg.de/projects,
https://www.facebook.com/OrganismalBiology or @IMPRS_OrgBio.

IMPRS for Organismal Biology

Max Planck Institute for Ornithology, Am Obstberg 1, 78315 Radolfzell /
Eberhard-Gwinner-Str., 82319 Seewiesen, Germany

University of Konstanz, PO Box 639, 78457 Konstanz, Germany