Anthony-

I manage an EDI/EC Outsourcing company and I can tell
you that any sales outfit or headhunting firm that
tells you that Outsourcing is a "magic bullet" is not
truthful about outsourcing or does not know what it
truly takes to outsource EDI.

1).  We do not replace the in-house EDI/EC talent for
an organization.  We augment your staff and help you
achieve your EDI/EC goals.  You obviously have a great
deal of business and industry knowledge for your
company so it wouldn't make sense to take a resource
like that out of the loop.

2).  Our organization simply helps an organization
such as yours when and only when you need additional
staff and cannot locate the high level staff needed to
implement EC systems on time and on budget.  If you
need to EDI/EC enable 100 trading partners and you
have a staff of two EDI folks, one doing map
development and testing and the other doing ERP
interface development, we come in and assist your
staff to enable your trading partners in a timely
manner.

We also have horror stories as companies will attempt
to outsource and then not take responsibility to help
the outsource company developers with the project or
be attentive to the needs of the organization.  Some
companies feel that "Hey, I've outsourced it and I
don't want to hear anything about the project other
than project successes".  Well, we all know that upper
management needs to "Buy in" to the project and
understand both successes and failures.  It's easier
to simply blame the outsourcing company when something
goes awry.

It is my opinion that the internal staff resources and
the outsourcing firm work together on a project as a
cohesive team working towards a common goal of EDI/EC
Implementation.  The horror story develops when the
team is not working together towards a common set of
goals.

I personally like to work together with the in-house
resource so that a knowledge transfer is done and the
company is not left "out to dry" when the developer
rolls off of the project.  This also results in horror
stories following the end of a client engagement.

Regards-

Gerard

--- Anthony Beecher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ok - From my question about translators I'm getting
> a lot of sales people
> offering to take my job away. : )
>
> Any comments from experience on outsourcing?
>
> Was anyone thrilled with the service they received?
> Was it the 'magic
> bullet' that made all of you problems disappear as
> promised?
>
> Does anyone have any horror stories or pains form
> outsourcing?
>
> Thanks
>
> Anthony Beecher
> EDI Analyst
> buy.com
> 949-389-2246

=====
Gerard Spinks
B2B Practice Director
Spinks Engineering, Inc.
www.spinksedi.com
925-706-7694 West Coast Office
212-658-9309 East Coast Office
"Enabling Business to Business Commerce"