Osamu Okada, of NTT Data Corp., wants "to express the updated quantity
and quantity deviations or differences from previously sent message
within a single DELFOR message."

Does the following EDIFACT DELFOR sequence really say that 100 Pieces
are to be delivered on 2000/02/05, and that this forecast is 50 Pieces
less than the previous month's forecast?

LIN++PID001'
QTY+113:100:PCE'
DTM+2:20000205:102'
QTY+113:-50:PCE'
DTM+2:20000205:102'

This EDIFACT snippet reads to me as saying 50 pieces are to be delivered
on 02/05 (code "113" in QTY01-C18601means "Quantity to be delivered") -
i.e., deliver 100 pieces, ooops - make that 100 - 50 pieces!

Stephan Burkhardt, of DaimlerChrysler Services, doubts there's any need
to explain away the differences between the old and new forecast -
the "never explain, never apologize" theory of EDI to which I subscribe.

But if we really need to say here in the forecast that the 100 pieces to
be delivered are different than a previous estimate for 02/05, then as
Michael Pokraka has pointed out, the QTY would certainly have to use
some different qualifier in D.E. 6063 to make explicit the variance,
detailing changes to the forecasted quantities.  My only question would
be: should there be two QTYs - the first unconditionally specifying
"113", and then the second somehow describing the variance?

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Memorial Pkwy.
Dublin, OH USA 43017-3305