We currently use VANS to transmit EDI data. We find that it guarantees
privacy and
is efficient.  However are moving away from Vans because they are expensive.
We are going to a recently developed protocol, Interactive Agent Transfer
Protocol,(IATP).
FTP has several limitations.  The major limitation with FTP is trust.

Can you trust that the person on the other end of the transaction is who he
says he is?

Can you trust that the data came across unaltered?

Can you trust that the data transmission was private? (i.e. unavailable to
anyone but the
party it was intended for)

Interactive Agent (IATP) is a standard protocol that addresses all the trust
isssues.

It uses SSL and Asn.1 encoding to resolve the trust issues. If you want an
inexpensive, reliable, fast, trustworthy transaction then IATP is the way to
go.

for more information about what Interactive Agent is checkout the
Telecommunications
Industry Forum (TCIF) website:  http://www.atis.org/atis/tcif