Nikki Maddox, of the Southwire Company, wrote Tuesday before last:

   Is there anyone that uses Oracle who is doing ERS? Or someone
   that knows a lot about Oracle.  I have a customer that says
   they can't do EDI because of Oracle??  Which I guess means they
   didn't buy that unit.  They say they can do ERS but they can't
   send back the pertinent information we need on the check which
   is the packing slip number.  Is this just a matter of someone
   not wanting to make the changes necessary to make this happen?

Dear Nikki:

ERS, or Evaluated Receipts Settlement, requires two to tango:  it's your
responsibility to give them something, anything, to be used in lieu of
an invoice number (of which there is none, since ERS is "invoice-less"
invoicing) - like a packing slip or bill of lading number, or bar codes
on the shipments.  It's the customer's responsibility to give one or
more of these numbers back to you with the payment so you can do your
reconciling.  They can either send the number(s) back in an 820
Remittance Advice, or on the paper remittance along with the check.

Is your customer simply not giving you anything back on the remittance,
or are they insisting on using something other than the packing slip
number?  For example, maybe they want to return the bar code numbers
since those can be scanned, which might be an entirely reasonable
substitute for the packing slip number (since you know what bar codes
were in which shipment).

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Memorial Pkwy.