This highly technical concept of "poking a hole in a firewall" ... can you
be less metaphoric?  Do you really create a temporary situation where
your firewall will admit anything, or does it recognize packets from your
trading partners and let them through?

Do you check message digests or signatures before bringing the messages
through the main firewall?

Howard Parks
1 Peter 4:10