>>From: Gillette, Jayne
>>Date: Fri, May 19, 2000 7:29 AM
>>Subject: Version Migration
>>To: EDI-L

<<SNIP>>

>>       2.  We do not have a separate test box and have only one copy of our
>>translator, so all processing must be done on our production box.

A separate copy on the AS/400 is easy... just create a SAVF of G2X0DTA then
restore it under a new library name.  Replace G2X0DTA with the new library in
your library list, and voila, a Test environment!

>>        3.  We use one network communications ID for all test and production
>>transactions, and use internal files to control the actual status of each
>>trading partner by document.  We do set the flags within the translator for
>>each trading partner, but the translator flags do not drive any of our
>>processes.

I strongly recommend a 2nd ID for this test.  This allows you to set up a 2nd
partner within Gentran. This allow you to have separate split files assigned
for
the incoming documents, and to use a different Test/Production ID on your ISA
segments for outbound data.

<<SNIP>>

>>        2.  Begin transmitting same DC PO transactions (850s and 860s) to
>>all trading partners as "test" in the new version (would probably occur in
>>the same transmission as the production transactions).

I can tell you this from my perspective.  Since the docs all come from one TP,
my system wouldn't care about the version.  It would be perfectly happy to
translate them.  Also, since I use MY flags to determine test vs prod, and the
TP would be in production, I would happily upload both sets of orders to order
processing, and you would get double shipments.

I personally think that you would be better served to use a second ID for the
transmission of test data so that partners can know that the orders are not
from
your production systems.

<<SNIP>>

>>        4.  After a specified period of time, we would drop version 3040 for
>>all trading partners, and transmit documents only in the new version.

Again, from my perspective, I would want to manage that cutover so that I could
"baby-sit" the first few through the system and make sure that no errors were
introduced in the conversion.

>>        Is this feasible?  What is the best way to accomplish this without
>>disrupting the production processes (ours and our vendors')?  What words of
>>wisdom do you have for us?  Thank you in advance for whatever information
>>and advice you can provide.

Good luck!  Please feel free to contact me off-list if I can answer any
specific
questions.

        Sincerely,
        Jayne