Boy are you in luck ... the IRS has a publication just for you that
should help at
http://www.irs.gov/forms_pubs/pubs/p15atoc.htm

The IRS uses a 20 point test (See form SS-8) to determine if a person is
an employee or contractor.  And you can file an SS-8 to get a
determination if you're not sure.

Your "contractor" is the real problem, because she really didn't
understand the law or the situation.  Who paid her?  If you did, then
she should have gotten a real strong message ... although you should
have withheld taxes at that point.  If the client paid her, the fact
that she got a net check (with no withholding) should have been a
tip-off.  Also, the absence of the traditional employee benefits
(insurance, pension, orientation) is another big clue.

Go read the sections of 15-A about direction and control, they should
provide you some guidance.  If you're doing corp-to-corp, it also
provides an extra layer of protection for you.

[I now replace my CPA hat with my EDI hat, and don my flame retardant
suit.]

Lotsa luck, you're in for a nasty ride.  Uncle wants to classify
everyone as employees, it increases the tax collections at the federal
and state level, and also pumps money into the local payroll taxes that
1099 contractors can skirt around.  For instance, an individual that
presents himself as a C corporation and draws a salary has to file as if
he has another employee - down to the quarterly payroll reporting and
unemployment and disability.  However (at least here, and probably there
too), a corporation officer is prohibited from collecting unemployment
or disability benefits.  Or workmen's comp claims.  But you'll be forced
to provide these benefits for yourself, the employee.

[Putting the CPA hat back on.  If you're a contractor in New Jersey,
call me.  Really.  You need an accountant.]

--
Brian Lehrhoff ([EMAIL PROTECTED])