Sidney,

Ethically, you cannot use Firm A's software to develop software for Firm B. All
of Firm A's
software should have be returned to them at the completion of the development.
This, by the way,
assumes that firm A either had multiple licenses or did not use the software
while you had it.

Ethically, you must get Firm B's software from them to develop software for Firm
B or buy your
own development system. You might be given one if you approach the third firm.
Once I was.

Practically speaking, if Firm B is informed that they cannot use one (however
many) of their
licenses during the time of your development, you are legally and ethically OK.

There is the possibility of a legal problem and liability for your firm here and
possibly for you
personally as a consultant. Some translators are licensed only to the specific
user - Firm A or Firm
B. In this case, unless, they specifically name you (your firm) as their agent
and the licensing
agreement allows this naming, you are using pirated software and could get into
trouble with the
Fibbis.

The moral dilemma for you, as a consultant is what do you do? You can inform you
client. You are
morally obligated to inform the injured party (the third party vendor) if
software is being used
illegally. However, if you do that you will probably lose the client. You can
press the client and try
to get things correct. But what do you do if they will not correct the
situation?

The ethical questions concern your client. The moral questions concern you
personally. The legal
questions might ensnare both of you.

LouB