Racheal,

I don't doubt that the cost savings are a product of process
re-engineering, but it still stands to reason that if EDI is the enabler
or facilitator of that change then it most certainly stands to reason that
the cost savings are a benefit of EDI.  If not for EDI, why change the
business process.  That's the way we've done it for many years.  I say
this tongue in check because innovation is the mothers milk of cost
savings, competition and change.

I've said this before and I'll say it again.  Most organizations do not
couple process re-engineering with the implementation of EDI with mixed
results.  I liken it to putting a jet engine on a biplane.  They take it
up and let it rip and then stand there wondering why they ripped the wings
off of it.  It's costly, clumsy and just about any other adjective you can
think of.  I have never in my ten+ years of doing EDI and working in the
field seen any business couple the two in a manner that would lead to
innovation.  Most of the time EDI forces process change on them and it
ends up being done on the fly.  I cant think of any other scenario which
could be more costly to a business then this mix.

Bottom line, integration of any technology EDI, XML or any other massive
change in how you operate will inherently bring with it a process change.
It can be planed where costs can be managed and the most bang for the
dollar can be achieved or it can be forced where you end up pumping
dollars down a bottomless hole.  I think that most businesses fall into
the later category.