Arun

As chair of the Transportation Subcommittee of X12 I would like to provide
some clarification.  The 861 is not used by a carrier to provide information
to the shipper.  A carrier would send the 214 to notify the shipper that the
shipment has been delivered.  The consignee would send the 861 to confirm
receipt of the freight.

The 214 (shipment status) can be sent multiple times for each shipment,
depending on the requirements of the receiver (shipper or consignee) and the
capabilities of the carrier.  Most often, the 214 is provided as a
notification that the shipment has been picked up or delivered.  Other
common status messages for Truckload carriers relate to appointments and
ETA's.  Many carriers can provide enroute status messages and exception
status messages.

Ideally the status message would contain only the carriers assigned shipment
identification number (PRO number or tracking number for motor carriers),
shipper assigned shipment identification (usually the bill of lading number)
and the status of the shipment in the Q5 segment (pre version 3070) or AT7
segment (version 4010 and up).  If the shipper provides other reference
numbers to the carrier electronically (for example in the 204, 211, or 215
for a motor carrier), those reference numbers can be returned in the 214.

BTW, I did not see any posts to the listserve that indicated that the 861
was a carrier generated document.  Thanks for sending your summary.  You
should discuss the specifics of your business requirements with your
carriers before you program for receipt of the POD data.

Doug

Doug Anderson
Assistant Vice President Sales Support
Kleinschmidt Inc.