I had that exact same problem right down to the funky 'ae' character with
Ordernet - excuse me, "Commerce:Network" - when I tried to send data which
used CR (x'0D') as the segment terminator.

However, I'm not sure that was the whole problem, as I was sending it using
the Dynacom Software package bundled into Mercator (TSI) Trading Partner
PC/32. Both Mercator and Sterling assured me the data was sent (Mercator)
and received (Sterling) as a pure datastream with no special interpretation
of control characters.

At least one of them was clearly misinformed, as I solved the problem by
changing the segment terminator to tilde (~). After I did that, all was
cool.

(FWIW, VICS should be shot for recommending x'0D' as the segment terminator.
Heck, even the US Federal Government knows better: The HCFA Medicare EDI
guide states that while x'0D' is technically valid as a delimiter or
terminator, use should be avoided as CR is a control character on some
systems. They say the same thing about line feed and both horizontal and
vertical tabs).

Michael C. Mattias
Tal Systems
Racine WI