From: Electronic Data Interchange Issues [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Anthony Beecher
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2000 4:20 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Java based data transformation tool - UGGH!

I have been at a loss to understand why anyone would want a transformation tool that executes under the Java VM environment.

How would my peers react if I said that I wanted to run a critical business process in my Amiga Emulator running on a PC.  Silly right?  Why would you sacrafice the speed of running transformation under native code for running your transformations under a layer of emulation; i.e. Java's VM (Virtual Machine).  It is as silly.

It bad enough to inflate the data to 5 to 10 times by using XML, but then to transform under a layer of emulation? Why? Don't you care about performance?

If you look at Mercator's approach to cross platform compatability, they deal with the issue by allowing you to compile a map into native code for the specific environment in which it will run.

Cross platform compatability is THE justification for Java. At the enterprise level, there is no need to sacrafice the maximum available speed so that the software vendor could put in less work in creating the product.

Let's talk people! I think this is an ugly reality that the hypsters of these new B2B products need to address.  This is why I ruled out Webmethods and their like...

Anthony Beecher