Greetings,
Suggest you send SAP messages to SAP-EDIFAQ.
Answers below

                > Does HTLW work with integration to SAP?
                PW : don't know, but you should be able to do it as the flat
file is nothing very special.
                 It is just not documented that well.
                The issues with doing this comes down to the level of
integration they want and your knowledge of idocs.
                 .
                If they want the idoc to change status in SAP based upon
what occurs at the translator you will have to program to generate the
status message.

                You should really understand SAP idocs well before
attempting this or be prepared to spend time learning.
                Be aware that you will have to modify this interface each
time there is an upgrade/OSS note which effects this idocs.

                Does it work well - e.g. would anyone recommend it?  I know
that Harbinger has taken quite a bashing lately for lack of support.
                PW : don't know

                Does the SD product provide ANSI X12 and EDIFACT standard
transaction sets?
                PW : don't know

                Does the product provide any capability to create an
application layout using a downloaded SAP Idoc format?
                PW : don't know
                Is the communication package necessary to get stuff into and
out of SAP?
                PW : If you want guaranteeed communication  you will have to
invest some time setting up your FTP to monitor the queues.
                As long as the volume is low there will probably be minimal
issues
                SAP allows you to save an idoc to a file with message
type/date/minute/second/millisecond stamp

                Does it cost anything to upgrade to HTLW version 5.1?
                PW : don't know