Please forgive my ignorance on this subject, but what specifically is wrong
with EDI?
I read many general complaints from some of the list members, never anything
specific.
People who are complainers, complain about everything and will never be
satisfied.  And they too
are never specific about their complaints.  Saying *EDI stinks* means
nothing except about the person who says it.

After 20 years in the computer consulting business, I've learned several
important truths.
One, automating any business process brings challenges (and thus rewards).
Two, no project is ever done; there are
betters ways to do anything and everything is always changing.  Three, this
industry provides us all with an excellent
income and lifestyle (at least for me).  And four, if it was easy, we
wouldn't be needed.

Be creative.  Every EDI implementation should include some business process
reengineering.  Without it, it's like automating
an old index card system by simply *painting* the card on the screen.  If
there are no appreciable business benefits, don't automate it.
Look at the enterprise (whether it be a department, business function or
corporation).  Show the clients (the people paying you if your a consultant
or
the users in your company) how to improve their lives and work efficiency.

After participating in several dozen large-scale, UNIX-based, EDI
implementations, I have yet to see a customer whose life got worse.
Anything worth doing is doing well.  Use the tools you have (software and
brains) to find a solution.

With the available technology at reasonable costs, the *magic bullet* is you
and your creativity.

Lee LoFrisco
Sterling Commerce Service Partner Consultant
VoiceMail: 614.210.2706
Cell Phone: 410.963.6218
eFax: 810.277.5002