Paul Krikke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>@LISTSERV.UCOP.EDU> on 10/16/2000
12:40:00 PM

Please respond to Paul Krikke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by:  Electronic Data Interchange Issues <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

To:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc:
Subject:  Re: Re-engineering can make smaller XML!

Paul Krikke wrote:

>Keep in mind that I'm talking about the situation where XML is used in
>place of X.12 for EDI.  I *do* see some significant benefits in using XML
>to communicate between applications internally, but I'm still (very) jaded
>about XML for EDI.  Is this way off-base?  What am I missing?  I really
>want to jump on the XML bandwagon!

I'm pretty cynical myself, but I do see XML as a robust way to package
data.  I'm also seeing a lot of interest by standards bodies as well as
developers. (We all know how busy the marketers have been). I do see
potential for sending/receiving files without going through an expensive
X12 translation step.  However, I have not yet seen a trading community
come together, either as an industry, or through the auspices of a
standards body to do the things you have to do to pull this off.  What's
more, it seems quite possible that current efforts will be so splintered
that the technology never takes hold.