I believe the original question related to a mechanism for escaping
delimiter characters in an X12 data stream.....there is no method
within the X12 standards for escaping delimiter characters. The
UN/EDIFACT syntax is the only EDI standard that has such a mechanism.

Thus, the originator of the X12 interchange and enclosed transactions
has the responsibility to ensure that the delimiter characters used
(now include element separator, sub-element separate, segment
terminator, and repeating element separator) are NOT also embeded
within any of the data elements.

In short, in X12 you cannot escape any of the delimiter characters.

Rachel

Actually Linda is remembering a function of the STX DOS (SupplyTech)
software we used to support together. In view raw edi mode from
print-view
incoming/outgoing, STX was smart enough to display a '?' before the
data
character which was the same as a seperator character. I'm a little
worried
that I still remember that.

Steve