I think you bring up a great point.  Napster is a good example of what
informal EDI could be.  I see EDI as formal and informal.  Formal EDI
will continue to be used by the retail hubs and such where preset
arrangements between a buyer and seller are required.  But I see
a Napster type peer-to-peer technology being used for informal EDI.  For
example, why couldn't the mom-and-pop store, Target, Wal-Mart and/or
Kmart down the street put their inventory availability online 24X7 with
a Napster like product.  I think with initiatives like UDDI and ebXML to
back this up this is the way of the future.

-RD

--
Richard Druckenmiller