Dan Tharp, of G&D Transportation, says "HIGH LEVEL" types at his
organization want an overview of the various standards bodies.  Dan
doesn't "need anything detailed about the specific standards
themselves....just who the standards bodies are and what standards they
developed and how these standards bodies relate to one another "

Rather than asking who are the standards bodies, perhaps Dan's "HIGH
LEVEL" types should figure out what they want to do, and then they can
ask who can help them do it in a standardized way.  But then, I don't
think like a high level type. Another reason I never made it into TOP
management is my unfortunate inclination to mix metaphors:  "Say, that's
a good idea... Let's run it up the flagpole and see what sticks."

Judging by Dan's company's name, maybe it might help to have EDI/EC
standards that have something to do with transportation and logistics.
Ed De Ryder did suggest the Uniform Code Council, which is always a good
place to start, but ultimately you'll end up at specific standards
organizations depending on the mode: the American Trucking Associations
for motor carriers, at http://www.truckline.com/, ISA for ocean
transport at http://www.isaweb.com/, or RAILINC for rail, at
http://www.railinc.net/.

Where's Doug Anderson when you need him?

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Pkwy.
Dublin, OH USA 43017-3305