Linda Leckrone was with the vast majority with the following:

> My idea would be to watch for duplicate PO numbers, but that may
> not work for you.

That's the almost universal answer of the respondents but unfortunately
we have blanket purchase orders.  The 850s update line items so
restricting by a combination of purchase order and customer isn't
enough.  My apologies for not mentioning that in the first post.

The remaining possibilities require arm wrestling the customer.  Take
Javier Ortiz's strict rule, for instance:

> I think, this is a business process issue not EDI.  EDI software
> should take care of PO, ISA, and GS number duplicates and that is it.

I completely agree this is a business process issue.  For a customer
oriented business as ours, a hard line from me doesn't go over well with
customers or management.  It's refreshing and a little heartwarming to
hear it, nonetheless.

The final suggestion, from a phone conversation with Harry Stein of
Axiom Systems, is to require the customer to add a unique release number
in a REF segment.  He was quick to add forcing a customer to change
implementation is difficult, at best.

Again, thank you to all who responded.  If there are further
suggestions, I'll pass them on to the group.
--

Jake Balfour
Source Electronics Corporation