Michele,

You didn't tell us if you are talking about the supply side or sell side of your
business.  My answer is based on the part of my business I know the best, our sell
side.

We accept requested delivery date on our EDI and hard-copy POs.  We then compare the
requested delivery date against some standard parameters we have established, and if
the requested date falls within those parameters, we calculate a ship date based on
number of days to ship using conservative number of days shipping, which we have
populated in our database.  Customers who do not specify a requested delivery date get
the best date available, and using that date, we calculate our ship date using the
same criteria.

Demand often outstrips supply for us, so often the product does not exist as finished
goods inventory when the order comes in -- therefore we cannot be compared to an
operation that ships 100 percent from stock.

Hope this helps.

Michele Spychalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am taking a survery.  We are rethinking out business
model and deciding if we should manage orders by the
'scheduled ship date' or by the expected delivery
date'.  Which do you use in your business?  Thank you.