I am a total newbie in this field ( EDI), new on the list and know almost
nothing about EDI. This is a new responsibility I have been given.  So
please forgive my ignorance.

I am supposed to do something with our EDI operations , maps etc.

So I started with getting hold of the Implementation guide for ANSI 837
transaction set, and that is really big.
These guides assume certain level of familiarity and understanding on how
these transactions ( EDI Txns in general ) work. ( Looping, Hierarchical
level  etc etc). I do not have that knowledge.
Now the question :
(i) I am looking  for some resource ( a primer ) on how EDI files are
structured  and How to read them.  I understand that this will depend on
implementation so I am looking for general info.
(ii) Something on how to read an ANSI X12 implementation guide

I have already wasted a lot of time looking on web for this but they were
not exactly what I was looking for. Either they showed how /why of EDI  or
they provided just the implementation ( e.g. wpc-edi.com ) .

I know I can find a lot for xml on web , but for EDI  information sources
look vague. Please help me.

Thanks

Shikhar Srivastava