I was hoping that Mr. Kammerer would step up to the plate on this.  I vaguely recall
(this might have just been a dream, though) an off-line exchange some time ago about
the "CCYYMMDD" nomenclature.

>From what I understand, "CC" for century is interpreted differently by programmers
>than by those of us in the EDI world.  At my old company, I seem to remember (hey, my
>memory wasn't too good *before* I had to clear room to store all of this X12 stuff!)
>that the programmers solved the Y2K "problem" by using "0100" (CCYY) or maybe it was
>"100" (CYY) to indicate the year 2000.

The way that "CCYY" is interpreted in the EDI world is better stated as "YYYY,"
meaning a four-digit date field.  Presumably, we'll start dealing with the next
similar problem sometime around the year 9990.  ;->

Matt Brown

At 04:18 PM 5/23/01 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Rachel,
>
>Thanks to you and all who have responded to my "quick" question.
>
>It seems that the ANSI X12 standard calls for 6 digit dates (for DE373) to
>follow the format YYMMDD so that June 6, 1999 is 990606 and 8 digit dates
>are to follow the format CCYYMMDD so that June 6, 1999 is 19990606.
>
>Jaime E. Zepeda
>eBusiness Development Coordinator
>Power & Telephone Supply Company
>2673 Yale Avenue
>Memphis, TN 38112-3335
>
>(901) 320-3092 Voice
>(901) 320-3084 Fax
>
>http://www.ptsupply.com
>ISO 9002 Registered
Matt Brown                                              805 3rd Avenue
Technical Sales Support Engineer                        New York, NY  10022
Internet Commerce Corporation                   212-271-7631

ICC CORPORATE WEBSITES:
http://www.icc.net ................... Internet Based VAN
http://www.rtci.com .................. Consulting, Development & Mapping
http://www.intercoastaldata.com ...... EDI Service Bureau