John,

The first thing I would do is verify with the VAN that the spaces are not
actually in the file.
I would also have the VAN reflag the file file for pickup and try again in case
there was line noise.
Then I would check the data with a hex editor to make sure:
(1) the blanks are blanks - hex 20
(2) there is not some strange record segmentation

The file you have doesn't look like something a modem would create by itself.

"Glass, John" wrote:

> Okay, I can't figure this out, so I thought that I would ask the group.
> First of all, my EDI system is TLE version 4.1.4 on a Unix platform.  I set
> up a separate Communications Mailbox within Ops Center and because of that,
> I also created a separate bisync/API script (we have Cleo 3780Plus)
> specifically for that separate mailbox.  Actually, the script was copied
> from another  script that we're currently using for our main production
> mailbox at the VAN.
>
> Anyway, when the modem dials in and grabs EDI data from this new mailbox, I
> get EDI data that looks like below:
>
> RISA*00*          *00*          *01*1319R2979LH    *01*196238684H
> *010522*152GS*LB
> *131905978*196238684H*010522*1529*2*X*003030
>                               ST*823*000000002
>
> N1*BK*BIGTIMER BANK*1*13
> 1201228
>
> DEP*951282*010521*1446*030*01*0556660010
>                                         AMT*3*152278.75
>                                                                 QTY*41*1
>
> Can't figure where all of these blank spaces are coming from and why this
> file looks so screwy.  Talked to a CSR at the VAN and he claimed that it's
> wasn't their fault.  Any idea where to start with this?  Is it the VAN?  Is
> it something in the data?  Is there something in the API/Bisync script?
>
> Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Glenn Thompson
Programmer/Analyst
American Trouser, Inc.