It's not just SAP users, this happens to everyone. There's always a couple of
partners who want data on an ASN and/or invoice which are not stored (as
explicit fields, or even with a "place for user data") in the seller's order
processing system.

Some commercial ERP systems provide "capture" files, where one can store inbound
data and retrieve it later. (e.g., Point.man, Macola). When these capture
systems do not exist, I've always ended up creating a capture file myself.
(Here's one: I recently had to create a capture file for "customer part
number/our part number" and build and maintain it based on inbound 850's. Not
too many systems don't have a "customer part number" cross reference).

Some translator systems (e.g., TPPC/32) provide an integral capture facility
provided you specify a "turnaround" document.

But capture systems fail when the customer is not sending 850's (or 830's) - or
worse, the customer usually DOES send 850's, but then phones or faxes an
"emergency" order, and expects the "extra" info on the still-required
ASN/invoice.

I hgave never worked with SAP; but for its ubiquitousness, it's hard to believe
SAP does not provide a "user-defined sales order data" capability. You might ask
SAP support, because they have had to field this question.

Bottom line is, good news-bad news: Bad News is, you'll have to make changes to
some part of your system to accommodate your customers (or live with "text
comments"); Good News is, you're not alone.

Michael C. Mattias
Tal Systems
Racine WI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]