Aren't there capability differences between GT:Basic & GT:Basic Plus that might
account for mapping differences?  It
also could be that the workarounds were grandfathered in due to limitations of earlier
releases of GT:Basic.  And I
was working on GT:Basic for DOS which was an older product than the equivalent MVS
version.

>>I have found very very very few cases where I had to use a non
>>Gentran process to get around a limitation
I can't recall ever being at a site where some workarounds weren't required or
desirable regardless of the translator.
Recently, I've been working with a "state-of-the-art" object oriented translator
product that costs a small fortune
that can't convert more than a single character in an object per pass.  Thus, an
external program is desirable to
convert possible delimiters to something harmless like a space in the outbound flow.
Fortunately, their next release
will have multiple conversions in a single pass capability.

Jim Divoky
EC Solutions
PO Box 667
Kent, OH  44240-0012
Providing EDI/EC Consulting and Contracting Services
Mobile        330-606-6826
Pager         877-282-3426   (Toll free)
Email          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                  To send email to mobile phone: [EMAIL PROTECTED]