[EMAIL PROTECTED] asked about benchmark effort measurements for common tasks
related to EDI.
I would be glad to offer figures on what it usually takes me to perform these
tasks, but I'm not sure how much that would help.  Based on my long experience
in edi and other areas of software, I must confess that I have a somewhat
jaded attitude about such benchmarks.  About all that they can tell you are
averages and ranges, assuming the studies have a large enough sample base.
The bad thing about averages is that no member of your EDI staff is average.
Programming studies have shown up to a 20 to 1 productivity ratio between the
most and least programmers, even when doing the same type of work.  I see no
reason why EDI support should be much different.  In addition, there will
probably be so much variation in areas other than staff (such as types of
transactions, business process, software tools), that level of effort alone
won't mean very much.

There are several reasons for doing benchmarks,  but I don't necessarily see
them as being the best ways to achieve the particular goals for which they are
designed.  If you want to use them for project planning, you will be better
off using your own staff metrics.  If you want your staff's performance to
improve, it would be more productive to focus on best practices.  If you want
to set staff compensation, you're probably better off using salary surveys.

--
Michael C. Rawlins, Rawlins EC Consulting
www.rawlinsecconsulting.com