Richard,

I have worked with both.  I will have to give some
thought to your question to give a complete list, but
I can definitely tell you that GIS is much easier to
get up to speed on and much easier to develop
processes.  I am not talking about slightly easier, I
mean a LOT easier.  You will definitely save in terms
of development time and maintenance.

Thomas

--- "Hurd, Richard [SLCUS]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
> 
> We're currently running Gentran:Basic on Z/OS but
> with our inexorable
> corporate grinding to SAP across multiple
> franchises, I think that we'll be
> moving to a unix platform for pretty much
> everything.  It won't happen
> tomorrow, but if I were a betting man, that is where
> I'd put my money.
> 
> We also run webMethods (on unix) as a corporate
> middleware layer.  There are
> some people who think that we should use the EDI
> capabilities of webMethods
> for our translator at some point in the future.  I
> am not numbered among
> these people.
> 
> We have a current semi-urgent need to move our
> communications to
> Connect:Enterprise Unix or some variant thereof. 
> Sterling was in recently,
> and pitched this -- as well as GIS.  I was part of
> this meeting and was
> frankly (and pleasantly) surprised at the amount of
> interest I saw around
> GIS.   
> 
> I am now working with this team on presenting a
> cogent argument for moving
> our translator platform from Gentran:Basic to GIS.  
> I need facts and
> opinions.  I need war stories.  I would LIKE to hear
> tales that GIS is
> great, that it runs rings around webMethods, that
> it's relatively painless
> to migrate from G:B to GIS (well, okay; I've seen a
> Gentran:Basic map and I
> know that this isn't really true.)    But I've only
> heard marketing and
> sales engineer stuff.  How horrible is it, really? 
> Has anyone done it?  
> 
> I could say that I simply want to stop beating the
> "AS2/Drummond/waah waah
> waah certification waah waah waah" horse, and that
> would only be partly true
> -- but this is a looming need and a legitimate
> question.   
> 
> webMethods fans/foes/freaks, and GIS
> fans/foes/freaks, do your stuff.  Let
> me know what we're in for.
> 
> 
> [Non-text portions of this message have been
> removed]
> 
> 


<<We are at such a point in mankind's evolution where changed conditions 
invalidate all our policies that have been so successful even in the recent 
past, and that presumably have constituted the ideal response to a presumably 
unchanging and unchangeable human condition.  No wonder we are stupefied and 
confused-but our mistake is the same which many cultures have made before us, 
namely to force a rigid model upon a fluid reality.

Erich Jantsch - "Design for Evolution:  Self-Organization and Planning in the 
Life of Human Systems"

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 


------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
<font face=arial size=-1><a 
href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hqup6p1/M=362131.6882499.7825260.1510227/D=groups/S=1705005582:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123611527/A=2889191/R=0/SIG=10r90krvo/*http://www.thebeehive.org
">Get Bzzzy! (real tools to help you find a job) Welcome to the Sweet Life 
- brought to you by One Economy</a>.</font>
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

.  
Please use the following Message Identifiers as your subject prefix: <SALES>, 
<JOBS>, <LIST>, <TECH>, <MISC>, <EVENT>, <OFF-TOPIC>
Access the list online at:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L
 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to