> - A couple of requests came is to handle 856 - I am not sure if this can be 
> done - to formulate EDI ASN based of application data
input???  Any thoughts on this topic?

When you say 'handle' what do you mean? Automatic creation of '856' as a 
'turnaround' from an '850' or '830' or '862?'  Then I'd
agree with you that this would be a fool's errand: no way to know if you want 
the hierarchy to be Pick-And-Pack or Standard Pack or
'something a customer dreamt up after a short night.' (Not that that could ever 
occur!).

But if it's just a question of *reading* an 856, that's surely doable. If you 
don't like using the code in BSN05 (Hierarchical
Structure Code), there are a finite number of values for HL03 (and I think only 
six or seven are actually used in the Real World),
and the hierarchy can be determined by comparing the HL02 (parent ID) number 
with the HL01's already received.

FWIW, as someone who earns a living converting ANSI ASC X12 EDI to 'something 
else' I'm not sure I'm so terribly receptive to tools
designed to replace me.

But I need to get out of the 1980's sooner or later ....

Michael C. Mattias
Tal Systems Inc.
Racine WI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]











------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/OIFolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

.  
Please use the following Message Identifiers as your subject prefix: <SALES>, 
<JOBS>, <LIST>, <TECH>, <MISC>, <EVENT>, <OFF-TOPIC>
Access the list online at:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L
 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Reply via email to