Colleen

> I am trying to get information about the "industry standards" companies
> are using when it comes to requiring encryption of data using VAN's as
> their transmission method (whether EDI data or other formats).  

I don't think that there is a single standard.  That's why we have jobs.  ;-)

It depends on the documents you exchange and what you or your trading partner 
feels is adequate.  Walmart does AS2 which is very secure.  Many other partners 
use nothing except an ftp or VAN account & password.  

I don't think many people care about ASN details.  Healthcare data would 
probably have different requirements, but I don't do Healthcare... yet.


> I've heard that it isn't necessarily needed due to the security of the
> mailbox to mailbox access, in fact I've also heard that the reason VAN's
> are (so-called) "so expensive" is because we pay for that security.

I don't think that security is the major component of the charges.  You are 
paying for the 'VA'  Value Added, which is service, storage, convenience, etc.  
The security practices of VANs would be similar to other communications 
carriers and ISPs.

> Other opinions are that "everything" MUST be encrypted regardless of the
> transmission method because VAN's aren't any more secure.

AS2 ensures that only the sender & receiver can decrypt the messages.  An 
insider at the VAN could still do nothing with an AS2 encrypted message.

Earl Wertheimer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.spe-edi.com



------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page
http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/OIFolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

.  
Please use the following Message Identifiers as your subject prefix: <SALES>, 
<JOBS>, <LIST>, <TECH>, <MISC>, <EVENT>, <OFF-TOPIC>
Access the list online at:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L
 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Reply via email to