On Jun 29, 2013, at 7:51 PM, Leah Halpin wrote:

> I would join my esteemed colleague Klaus-Dieter in asking for an explanation
> of this change in policy that provides any actual value for the annual fee.

Leah, personally I don't care what DISA (X12) uses as argument(s) for their
table data pricing. I don't question Mikes' account, it's Déjà vu for me. I was
part of the original discussion, many many years ago, by the X12 StC when they
agreed to bump up the table data price. It was the argument that most of those
buying the table data never participated in the development but benefited
through their product sales, and therefore should paying much more then X12
members.

At that time I argued against it, making the point that in the end it will
always be the users that will buy the higher price. Further, as we have seen
over and over again, standards that price themselves too high may end up of
becoming less relevant, especially if there are "free" standards available in
the same domain area. We will see in time if the new pricing policy will have a
negative effect on implementations.

> Which, if it applies going forward, will mean 20% per version per year, which
> will become less trivial as time rolls on.

Agree. Since the new pricing statement reads "Beginning with 006050, the price
covers the use of the ASC X12 EDI Standard 006050 (Product) for one year....",
we are lucky that it is not retro-active.

But for a moment, just to show how quickly this figure mushrooms, let's assume
it was retro-active for demonstration purpose. Most X12 commercial translator
support the majority, if not all, of the X12 standards, for the 005xxx and
006xxx sets, applying such a maintenance fee for this year, besides the $800
for the current set, it would also require 9 x $160, a total of  $1754. With
each new release that figure will increase by another $160. Boy, what a "cash
cow" that is.

Lucky :-) for those that require those tables, for now it is only $800, but
with each release that cost per year will increase and as Leah said "it will
become less tribal."

Klaus

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional